Monday, July 19, 2010

Eating mushrooms found in the forest. A good idea or not?

On any of my many hikes through a local forest, it is not unusual to spot a mushroom or two, especially when walking near a stream. I’ve always had a fondness for eating them but have to admit to feeling a bit nervous about the wild ones. I generally content myself to buying my spore-bearing fungus at the local grocery store and so more than likely have missed some really good eating. I say this because aficionados of culinary fungi tell me that there is nothing better than the fresh, wild kind.Yet, after a little research, I found this to be in question.

First off, does it even make sense to go to all the bother? I suppose that you could go out and buy a book on the subject like '100 Edible Mushrooms’ to insure what you eat is safe, but consider this little known fact. Of the thousands of mushrooms found in North America, only about 5 percent are edible. Only about 5 percent are poisonous, too. The rest, however, taste like crap.. So, the answer for me is to stick with the ones I can get from the local grocery.

No comments: