Saturday, July 31, 2010

A true bonus!

Sometime around April. I think it was, I saw a small vine growing in one of my raised beds. Being of a curious nature, I let it alone. Well, vines have a way of taking over any space they occupy and this vine went to town on me. But still, I could not bring myself to remove it. I was getting curious as to what it might produce.

The weeks wore on and then one afternoon while I was watering I saw a little melon buried in among the vine leaves. I kept an eye on this guy for the better part of two months. As time went on, it became apparent to me that this was a cantaloupe. I remembered that some where in my seed inventory there were some Ambrosia seeds. One or more of them must have been dumped into the bed by mistake.

Well, today I had the distinct pleasure of harvesting one. It wasn’t very big mind you (4 3/4 dia.), but that was more than made up for by the heavenly flavor! That’s one of the things that is so great about this hobby. Sure there are the occasional failures, but boy-oh-boy, every once in a while you get a tasty surprise.

4 comments:

Jeana said...

I love it when that happens. The cantaloupe looks wonderful.

Dan Owen said...

Thank! Now that I've discovered I can grow these, I plan to make a spot for them next year!

thyme2garden said...

Wow, an accidental cantaloupe? How lucky are you?! So did you just let the vine grow unrestricted in your raised bed, without a trellis?

Dan Owen said...

Yes, I just let it sprawl. One vine has produced three decent melons. I plant to save the seeds from one of them for next spring. Thanks for the comment!