Thursday, July 29, 2010

On drying basil.


My crop of Genovese basil is now reaching maturity at the end of July. This aromatic herb is something I use a lot of in cooking. I add it to anything that contains tomatoes, especially  homemade spaghetti sauce , a recipe given to me by a fellow blogger.

Preserving the harvest is relatively easy, especially during the hot days of summer. I just strip off the leaves and then place them on large tray on top of paper towels. They are then left in the sun to dry, a process that usually takes just a day. (I try and keep an eye on them especially if I know that there are storms lurking about. It’s very common down here in southwest Missouri to have them popup out of nowhere). More than once I’ve had a batch or two ruined by shower that snuck up on me!

After the leaves have dried, I then take them into the kitchen where I give them a shot in the microwave. (This is done on high for just a minute or so to insure that the moisture has been completely removed). I then let them sit for a bit before crumpling them up by had into small flakes. These are placed into an airtight jar for use later on. By doing this, I will have plenty of this herb for use over the fall and winter months.

1 comment:

meemsnyc said...

I'm growing genovese basil too, and it's my new love! I have to learn to dry some basil. Thanks for the tip.