Wednesday, July 14, 2010

On protecting your vegetable garden from deer.


Every year, about this time in July, I've had to resign myself to the loss of produce courtesy of the deer that frequent the area. (For a long time, I could not figure out what was eating my tomato plants down to the ground. Then, one morning at dawn, I caught a lone deer in the act). From that time on, it’s become a ritual to try and outsmart them with me generally losing the battle.

This year, I decided against the employment of commercial anti-deer preparations or even homemade pepper sprays. No, this year I would put up a simple rope fence around the area. You can barely see it in the picture. Surprisingly, so far it appears to be working. The simplistic contraption consists of a few aluminum pipes pounded into the ground with a bit of rope strung between them. Simple, primitive and rather stupid are just some of the comments made by neighbors.  My answer, “Hey, if it works!” I’ll do a follow up blog in a week or so!  

UPDATE: A two weeks later this oh so flimsy defense is still holding them off!

No comments: